Makes 4 Serves Time: 20 minutes Preparation 20 minutes Cooking
Tofu 'Egg White':
250g Medium Soft Tofu
1/3 Cup Gluten Free Flour
1/2 Cup Plant Milk
1 Cup Plant Milk
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/8 tsp Chili Flakes
1 tsp Vegetable Stock Powder
1/4 Cup Nutrition Yeast
1/2 Cup Chickpea Flour
1 Medium Eggplant
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp Tamari
2 tbsp Tomato Puree
1 tsp Miso Paste
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1-2 tbsp Water
1/4 Cup Cashews
1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
4 Burger Buns of choice
4 large Lettuce or Spinach leaves
1 large Tomato
4 tbsp Tomato Relish
- Place roughly cut tofu and gluten free flour into blender and process.
- Add in plant milk bit by bit while blending and blend until smooth and free from lumps. The mixture should be thick like pancake batter. Add more or less milk as needed to achieve the right consistency.
- Place all yolk ingredients (minus the chickpea flour) into a small pot and place over medium heat, bring to a simmer whisking regularly.
- Whisk chickpea flour with equal parts of water to a smooth paste.
- Whisk in chickpea mixture to the hot mixture over a medium heat and continue to whisk until thickened. Mix should be thick and gluey.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together tamari, miso, tomato puree, paprika, cumin, mustard and water.
- Top and tail the eggplant and slice length ways through the center. Then slice each half length ways about 4mm thick to create long strips.
- Blend nutritional yeast and cashews in a spice grinder or blender to create a powder.
- Coat eggplant strips in marinate mixture and place onto a lined baking tray or sandwich press. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast mix and cook for about 15 minutes,until caramelised.
Finish the 'Egg'
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium- high heat. (you shouldn't need to use oil on a good non-stick pan).
- Drop a quarter of the 'egg white' mixture onto pan, create a small valley in the middle of the whites and drop 1-2 tsp of the 'egg yolk' mixture into the valley.
- Cook for about 3 minutes per side, flipping once the egg can be easily lifted away from the pan with a spatula. You can also cook 'sunny side up' by placing a lid over our 'egg' while cooking.
Compile Your Burger
- Lightly toast your chosen bun, spread some relish on both top and bottom, add lettuce, tomato, avocado, pickles, 'eggplant bacon', and 'tofu egg', add extra yolk mix as an extra sauce.